Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Millions of People

Eight (8) million people live in NYC! That fact significantly contributes to it being unquestionly diverse, undeniably interesting, and forever entertaining. However, at the same time it can be so fast-paced and competitive it can become a lonely place for some as they try to find "their place" within it. The common thread for survival appears to be to find an area of the city in which you seem to gravitate towards and then make that your NYC. In other words make NYC appear smaller so it fits into your life.

Now that I have been here for several weeks let me tell you a little bit about "my NYC." I have not yet gravitated towards a specific area of the city but I have been able to connect with some really cool people in the meantime. These people have each played an intricate and important role in helping me to transition to the city and to feel very comfortable here. I thank God for each of them.

For those of you who may not know I currently live with they Wyatt's. They are a great family and have gone out of their way to support me by offering me a bedroom within their New York City apartment until I can get my feet under me. In doing so I have been able to reconnect with Freddy who was one of my closest friends from seminary, Susan his wonderful wife, and Jack (soon-to-be 3), Elliot (1), and Lilly (1) who are a crazy threesome of kiddos that I have become something of an uncle too. I love this family and even if I wasn't living with them I would certainly find time in my schedule to spend some time with them.

Mickey Micklos is a great guy that I met while attending Gallery Church. I actually met him at dinner on my first night in the city and shared a cab ride with him and Freddy later that evening. Mickey is a film student graduate and is in the city to pursue his dreams and passions of becoming a film maker. He is gifted beyond his years and is still finding his way much like me. He has a few weeks of a head start on me in NYC and has proven to be a great guy to experience the city with. A great new friend!

I also am getting to know Katie Gray Landham and her sister Emily. We actually grew up together in my hometown of Hendersonville back in Tennessee but unfortunately we did not know each other very well, if at all. We of course knew similar people and this "hometown" connection is what led to our re-connection here. Katie Gray makes me laugh and it has been fun to talk about Christ with her, play rummy with her and Emily, and to watch their dog Pip. He is a new puppy for the Landham sisters and it has become a great side job for me to be a puppy-walker. I'm pretty dang good at it too!

So that is some of "my NYC" experience as of the moment. I hope in the near future I will be figuring out which area of the city I would "like to gravitate too." However, it has been these people and several others that have made it an easy move to such a fast-paced, competitive, diverse, interesting and entertaining city. And even though I have around 7,999,900 more people to meet in the future, the ones I have mentioned are certainly some of the best!

1 comment:

  1. Chris Mills - I did not know you were such a gifted writer. I enjoy reading your updates. They make me smile. I miss our times together in Philly. Skeeter speaks of you often, and always with great fondness. We are planning a worship service for January 2 and were discussing possible worship leaders. His first suggestion? Yep - Chris Mills. So thanks for making an impact on someone who is so special to me.

    I love you, my friend. Maybe I can come visit one day...

    Will Snipes

    ReplyDelete